Frequently Asked Questions

What types of physicians are needed to work in hospitals?

Physicians trained in internal medicine, pediatrics, family practice, OB/GYN and surgery are needed to staff hospitals. Minimum time for deployment is 4 weeks.

What types of pre-clinical faculty are needed?

Faculty are needed to teach anatomy, physiology, genetics and pathology. Visiting professorships will last from 4-8 weeks.

What types of clinical faculty are needed?

Clinical faculty are needed in many core and subspecialty areas

Pediatrics: Generalist and subspecialty faculty

Internal Medicine: Generalist and subspecialty faculty

General Surgery and surgical subspecialty faculty

OB/GYN: Generalist faculty and subspecialty faculty:



What is the length of deployment for physicians?

Undergraduate faculty: 8-12 weeks

Generalist faculty:  3-12 months

Subspecialty faculty : 4-8 weeks

Work in hospitals: 4 weeks minimum

How do I get time off from my employment in the US?

You will need to seek a Leave of Absence from your current employer for the period during which you will be away, plus up to an additional three weeks after you return as part of a "monitoring phase" advocated by current Centers for Disease Control policy.

Will I be paid for my time in West Africa?

Yes. The Paul G. Allen Grant funding is designed to supplement income for any work you do in Liberia. The salaries paid  will vary based on the job being performed,  the type of specialty and  the length of deployment. We can provide you with more information if needed.

How dangerous is it to work in hospitals in Liberia?

We plan to place physicians at hospitals where few cases of Ebola have been reported. Additional sites will be added as the epidemic resolves. Because of the small chance of exposure to Ebola, all clinical staff will undergo infection control training.

Will I get training to protect myself for potential exposures to Ebola?

Training on safe practices and infection control will be provided to clinical faculty who will be performing patient care. This training involves didactic lectures and practical training on isolation and infection control procedures related to Ebola Virus.

What happens when I return to the US?

You may have to undergo a 3 week monitoring phase when you return to the US, depending on the state of the Ebola epidemic. Your monitoring phase will vary depending on the policies of your home state, and you should check your state's official website to learn its specific policy. However, most states are currently following theCDC guidelines. This generally means that, during the Ebola epidemic, if you have been involved with direct patient care, you will be required to report to a representative of your state's Department of Public Health (DPH) twice daily, informing them of your general state of health and your body temperature for 3 weeks. 

You will need to consult with your employer to understand their policies about returning to work during the 21-day monitoring period.

 Are there vaccinations I need to have completed before traveling to West Africa?

Yes. You will need to visit a travel clinic. You must be up to date on:

Yellow Fever (you ‘ll need a yellow card to keep with you & to get a visa), MMR, Varicella, Polio, Diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis, Flu shot, Hep A, Hep B, Tdap, Typhoid -this comes in both oral and IM.


Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about these programs:

Office of Global Health

University of Massachusetts Medical School

362 Plantation St, ACC-7, Suite 004

Worcester, MA 01605

Salimata Bangoura, Program Manager

508.856.5716 (office) 508.856.1140 (fax)